[We think there's no better holiday gift than a good book. But sometimes you want to kick it up a notch, so we've put together a few fun gift lists based around some of our favorite books and authors.]
Percy Jackson may just be the best thing to happen to Greek mythology since Homer. Rick Riordan's ridiculously addictive books about modern day demigods have been a big hit in our homeschool, so we put together a list of fun gift ideas for Percy Jackson lovers. (These are ready-to-buy, but they'd be great bases for DIY projects, too.)
- You've read D'Aulaire; now it's time to updgrade to an elegant two-volume collection of The Greek Myths by Robert Graves.
- With The Book of Greek Myths Pop-Up Board Games, you can help Theseus defeat the Minotaur, assist Odysseus as he finds his way home, and fight the Trojan War. (This is great for travel since the games stash neatly inside the book.)
- Camp Half-Blood apparel: Essential garb for any true Percy Jackson fan.
- Mythologies (part of the terrific Ologies series) is more than just a book. Its pages are packed with games, pop-ups, and plenty of hidden treasures.
- Every chess match is epic when you're playing with the Gods of Greek Mythology Chess Set.
- The board game version of the classic Age of Mythology computer game seems expensive, but it's great family fun—and the used versions are much more affordable. (And the old-school computer game is a bargain.)
- Campers at Camp Half-Blood get a bead for every summer they attend. Percy's camp necklace or Annabeth's camp necklace makes a fun stocking stuffer.
- Capture a renegade god with the help of some friendly Olympians in the Zeus on the Loose board game.
- Doesn't every Percy Jackson fan need a Minotaur action figure?
- Battle for control of the Underworld, Ancient Earth, and even Atlantis with the mythologically based Risk: Godstorm board game. From the rule book: "Table talk, including alliances, threats, coercion, whining, pleading, backstabbing, invocation of the divine wrath of your ancestors and other verbal tirades, is not only allowed, but also encouraged."
- It is no easy task to find the By Jove board game, but the awesome mythology content—consult the oracles! lounge with the lotus-eaters!—makes it worth the effort of tracking down.
- Build like the ancient Greeks with the Haba Antiquity Architecture Wooden Block Set.
We also think the Greek alphabet wooden blocks by Uncle Goose are pretty groovy.
This gift guide was originally published in Atlanta Homeschool magazine.
A Note About Affiliate Links on HSL: Some product links in home | school | life are affiliate links, which pay a small percentage of sales to the magazine. We use these funds for web hosting, photo purchasing, paying freelance writers, and other business expenses. We only recommend products we have personally used and found helpful. Read more about how we choose and use affiliate links here