[We think there's no better holiday gift than a good book. But sometimes you want to kick it up a notch, so we've put together a few fun gift lists based around some of our favorite books and authors.]
Finding Avengers holiday gifts is easy. Finding real Norse mythology-themed presents? That's a little more challenging. Happily, we've pillaged and plundered a list of holiday gifts that would make any Viking grin — and if we did succumb to one Thor plushie, well, can you really blame us? (These are ready-to-buy, but they'd be great bases for DIY projects, too.)
- If you've worn out the library's copy of D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths, maybe it's time to get your own.
- Norse mythology gets the graphic novel treatment in the faithful and readable Thor & Loki: In the Land of Giants: A Norse Myth.
- Encourage your friends to practice their Viking translation skills with a playful "If you can read this you are probably a Viking" T-shirt written in Runic.
- The most stylish way to contain your Norse mythology book collection: A set of Viking boat bookends.
- Test your luck or just practice your Runic alphabet with your own set of rune stones.
- Navigate the Norse world and win honor, courage, and wisdom as you make your way toward the ultimate battle of good versus evil with the Viking Adventure Game.
- Every good Viking needs her own drinking horn.
- Pillaging is much easier when you're doing it with your own Viking sword, Viking shield, and winged helmet.
- Dream of discovering and conquering new worlds beneath a Viking ship mobile.
- Obviously you're going to need your own hammer of the gods. May we suggest the plush version, to minimize damage?
- Keep warm and pillage on with a knitted and braided beard face warmer.
- A Viking boat print is a stylish way to show off your inner Norseman.
- Get your groove on Norse-style with a wooden Viking panpipe.
- The name — Hnefatafl — may be impossible to pronounce, but the rules to this traditional Viking game are easy to follow.
- Keep all the gods straight with this handy Norse mythology family tree infographic poster.
- You don't have to trade an eye to know that this little bronze Odin statue is a groovy addition to your Norse collection.
- Show your Viking side in a knitted Viking hat, complete with horns.
- Go ahead: Cuddle the god of thunder. This Thor plushie may be from the comic series, but he's still too cute to pass up.
- Build your own Viking longship with this neat model kit. (They also sell tiny Viking figures to inhabit it.)
This was originally published in Atlanta Homeschool magazine in 2012.
A Note About Affiliate Links on HSL: Some product links in home | school | life are affiliate links, which pay a small percentage of sales to the magazine. We use these funds for web hosting, photo purchasing, paying freelance writers, and other business expenses. We only recommend products we have personally used and found helpful. Read more about how we choose and use affiliate links here