[We think there's no better holiday gift than a good book. But sometimes you want to kick it up a notch, so we've put together a few fun gift lists based around some of our favorite books and authors.]
By special request: Whenever I try to argue that The Hobbit is Tolkien's best work, my husband completely freaks out on me, but at least we agree that The Hobbit is his most accessible story. More adventure tale than epic, The Hobbit is an awesomely fun read and good inspiration for holiday shopping, too. There are lots of Tolkien gift ideas, but we've rounded up our favorite Hobbit-specific gifts here. (These are ready-to-buy, but they'd be great bases for DIY projects, too.)
- The paperback is idea for reading in the bath, but the special 75th anniversary hard cover edition of The Hobbit, featuring the book's original cover art by J.R.R. Tolkien, is a beautiful addition to your bookcase.
- And frankly, I don't see how you can call yourself a fan of The Hobbit if you don't have a Latin translation of the book. Hobbitus Ille, anyone?
- Try your luck at the Defeat Of The Evil Dragon Smaug board game. Reviews are mixed, but I'm not sure how you can resist trying it out once you know it exists.
- If you think all Gollum really needs is a big hug, you will appreciate the creepy cuddliness of this Gollum plushie.
- The lavishly illustrated The Art of The Hobbit includes all of Tolkien's original artwork for this tale of Bilbo and his companions.
- Furry Hobbit slippers: May the hair on your toes never grow less.
- Add the cast of The Lord of the Rings to your peg people collection with this hand-painted peg people set.
- Peter Jackson may not have directed it, but the animated Hobbit movie from the 1970s is still pretty awesome: Orson Bean voices Bilbo, and John Huston is Gandalf.
- What do you get when you cross Edward Gorey with J.R.R. Tolkien? The Gashlycrumb Hobbit tee, one of the coolest Tolkien tributes we've seen.
- The ultimate Tolkien gift splurge: Your very own Hobbit-hole playhouse for the backyard.
- Get your very own elfin sword with the Sting letter opener. It will dispatch those holiday card envelopes faster than a warg can chase you up a tree.
- Express your affection to your favorite Tolkien fan with the "I love you like a hobbit loves second breakfast" mug.
- OK, nobody needs a tiny vinyl Gandalf. But after you've seen this one, it's kind of hard not to want one.
- Obvious but awesome nonetheless: The Hobbit LEGO sets.
- "That's what I'm Tolkien about" t-shirt: I find this hilarious for some reason. Your mileage may vary.
A Note About Affiliate Links on HSL: Some product links in home | school | life are affiliate links, which pay a small percentage of sales to the magazine. We use these funds for web hosting, photo purchasing, paying freelance writers, and other business expenses. We only recommend products we have personally used and found helpful. Read more about how we choose and use affiliate links here