Around the Web
- Catherynne Valente, author of the Fairyland series (my FAVORITE contemporary fantasy series), has given us a post-election gift: a prequel story starring A-Through-L and the Green Wind, called The Beasts Who Fought For Fairyland
- And here’s another gift, from Key and Peele: the last Obama-and-his-anger-translator sketch (NSFW-ish :))
- The school kids in a nearby county were hoping for the gift of the snow day, but at least the county twitter account has a sense of humor
At home | school | life
- The winter issue is out! Thank you guys so much for all the nice comments about it, and if you haven’t downloaded your copy, do it now so you can read it this weekend.
- on the blog: What do you do when your homeschooling days are over?
- one year ago: How to organize your homeschool library
- two years ago: Education for a different version of success
- Zadie Smith has been on my to-read list for years and I FINALLY read On Beauty—am now busily putting the rest of her books (including the just published Swing Time) on my library hold list.
- I’m halfway through Ali Smith’s How to Be Both and the first section (narrated by the ghost of a Renaissance artist) was both bizarre and wonderful, so I’m looking forward to the rest.
- Next up: Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay!
- The Good Place is back! I LOVE this show! If you haven’t seen it, catch the older episodes on Hulu and then join us to watch the best show on television at the moment. (Besides, it totally counts as a homeschool intro-to-philosophy credit.)
- Actually, we’re watching a lot of TV, now that all the shows are back after Christmas break. I don’t have the emotional energy for drama (well, except for This is Us, which I’m hooked on), but I’m really enjoying the diversity in the new & returning batch of family sitcoms: Blackish, Speechless, and The Real O’Neals are all excellent.
- Up next for our semi-monthly family movie outing: Hidden Figures—everyone I know who’s seen it has loved it!
SUZANNE REZELMAN is home | school | life magazine’s Book Nerd. Subscribe to home/school/life to read her brilliant book recommendations and literary musings every issue. Your library list will thank you.
A Note About Affiliate Links on HSL: Some product links in home | school | life are affiliate links, which pay a small percentage of sales to the magazine. We use these funds for web hosting, photo purchasing, paying freelance writers, and other business expenses. We only recommend products we have personally used and found helpful. Read more about how we choose and use affiliate links here