Tis the season—so of course we’re all struggling through the traditional pre-holiday colds. Happily, that gives us a perfect excuse to snuggle up by the fire with hot chocolate and read books all day. I hope your days are just as perfect—but less sniffly!
around the web
- Where do academics go when academia loses its appeal?
- I think we all need a Twin Peaks Lego mini figure.
- Interesting: The man who killed math in America
- Best permission slip response ever
- in the classroom: A few people have asked about spring classes, so I wanted to mention that we’re not offering any new classes this spring. (Year-long classes are continuing as usual.)
- on the blog: All our holiday gift guides in one place
- one year ago: Making your wellness a priority
- two years ago: Learning authentically
- I finally got around to reading Neil Gaiman’s fantasy Neverwhere. I thought it was interesting, engaging, and worth reading—but I didn’t love it. I keep thinking I should try to read more fantasy, but maybe I just don’t like fantasy? If you have a fantasy book recommendation you just love, I want to hear about it.
- My best friend gave me a copy of The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness so that she’d have someone to talk to about it, and I understand why: It’s un-put-down-able.
- In honor of the season, my daughter and I are reading Wintersmith together, my son and I are reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and we’re all reading The Long Winter together.
- I took a break from my usual holiday crafting blitz this year. I did make everyone a new hat (this one, this one, and this one) and new mitts and kept up my commonplace book tradition (I like to give the kids one each year), but that’s it.
- I’ve been watching the Agatha Raisin mysteries on Acorn, and they are just delightful fun—the perfect thing to watch when you really do just want to escape. (The actress who plays Agatha is Christina from Ugly Betty, which was very exciting to me.)
- I made some of these Boozy Grapefruit-Pomegranate Gummy Candies for a game night shindig, and everybody wanted more.