inside the current issue :: winter 2017
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE :: How to make activism and community service part of your regular, everyday homeschool life.
BREAK ON THROUGH :: Beat the dreaded mid-winter homeschool slump, and keep your homeschool going strong and happy ‘til springtime.
ADVENTURES IN ROADSCHOOLING :: How three families make it work living and learning on the road.
FIND THE RIGHT ELEMENTARY LANGUAGE ARTS CURRICULUM :: Shelli tests and reports back on First Language Lessons, Michael Clay Thompson, IEW, Brave Writer, and more to help you find the right one for your homeschool.
- Inspired ideas for studying immigration, life on the prairie, Julius Caesar, Black History Month books, Pocahontas, Andrew Jackson, suffragettes in cinema, Japanese internment, and more.
- YOU ASKED Answers to your questions about writing college recommendations, educational gaps, quitting a long-time teacher, and more.
- CURRICULUM JUNKIE Science and storytelling meet in Sassafras Science Adventures.
- BOOK NERD Deliciously grim and Gothic tales for gloomy winter nights.
- THE COLLEGE FILES Reflections on surviving first semester.
- SMART SCIENCE When experiments go wrong, science can get really fun.
- ART START Get inspired by Faith Ringgold’s narrative quilts.
- HANDS-ON SCIENCE Inside Shelli’s everyday homeschool routine.
- ROADSCHOOL On the trail with Lewis and Clark
- FIELD TRIP 5 destinations for Black History Month
- Books to get you organized