Happy Friday! And happy fall!
around the web
- I love everything Patricia writes, but this post about reinventing herself post-homeschooling is going on my favorites list.
- It’s like Pokemon Go but with BOOKS.
- This is so cool: How people used to add customized illustrations and nifty other stuff to their books
- I love this history of the sartorial tragedies of male doll fashion.
at home | school | life
- on the blog: Are you following our 52 weeks of happier homeschooling? This week’s challenge is about starting a family volunteer project.
- on pinterest: It’s time to start getting excited about nerdy Halloween costumes again.
- one year ago: Tracy was thinking about how different autumn feels as your homeschoolers grow up and become more independent.
- on my night table: The Island of the Day Before; Into the Breach: Using Research and Theory to Shape History Instruction; Teaching U.S. History as Mystery; The Poems of Catullus
- on my 14-year-old’s night table: Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy; The Girl with All the Gifts (finally!); Chris Riddell's Doodle-A-Day; Japanese Kanji Flash Cards
- on my 9-year-old’s night table: Minecraft: The Complete Handbook Collection
- watching: I think I mentioned that Jas and I have been watching Supergirl (on Suzanne’s recommendation), but I don’t think I mentioned how much I like it—nice, complicated women as sisters, mentors, and (obviously) heroes, plenty of witty superhero banter, and a lightness that I really miss in the superhero genre, which has been skewing darker and darker over the years.
- packing: Years and years of accumulated books, all of which I refuse to get rid of, even though probably I should get rid of some of them.
AMY SHARONY is the founder and editor-in-chief of home | school | life magazine. She's a pretty nice person until someone starts pluralizing things with apostrophes, but then all bets are off.
A Note About Affiliate Links on HSL: Some product links in home | school | life are affiliate links, which pay a small percentage of sales to the magazine. We use these funds for web hosting, photo purchasing, paying freelance writers, and other business expenses. We only recommend products we have personally used and found helpful. Read more about how we choose and use affiliate links here
What intersectional Confederate history can look like, the philosophical punch of Black Panther, science books for kids, and more stuff we like.
Lots of spring break movies, a new citizen science project, better-late-than-never obituaries for women, and more stuff we like.
Why our best friends are so much more than friends, what would W.E.B. DuBois think about the Black Panther, and more stuff we liked.
Harry Potter in Scots, more reasons to love Adam Rippon, enjoying art when you can't like the artist, obsessing a little too much over the correct reading order of Madeleine L'Engle's books, and more stuff we like.
Killer fashion (literally), how to do a better job navigating the situation if you find yourself in a Broadway musical, a little love for the world's rule followers, and more stuff we like.
Our current homeschool obsession, understanding the whole "dimensions" thing, the joys of loving RuPaul, a really lovely tribute to the Challenger's lost teacher in space, and more stuff we like.
All the links, books, and other stuff that are inspiring our homeschool life this week.
Snow days, why all those books you haven't read yet deserve a spot on your shelf, why are there so many terrible history books for your Kindle, recent reading, and more stuff we like.
What it's like to think like a bee, erasing women in the workplace, the messy magic of the home office, fantastic books, and more stuff we like.
Life before the Internet, the importance of real journalism, transitioning back to homeschool after a break, some recent readalouds, and more stuff we like.